Legacy of HPS
Established in 1923 as Jagirdar’s College
The Hyderabad Public School Society was formed under the Societies Registration Act to take over the management of the School after abolition of the Jagirdari System in 1950. Admission was then open to all, irrespective of caste, creed or social status.
After the abolition of the Jagirdari system in 1950, the Government decided that the College should be converted to an independent Public School, thus throwing open its portals to all, irrespective of class or creed. The Jagirdar’s College was re-organised in 1951 as The Hyderabad Public School and was affiliated as a member of the Indian Public Schools Conference (IPSC). In 1952, the former President of India, late Dr Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan, was appointed as the first Chairman of The Hyderabad Public School Society, Mr John W.R. Kempe was appointed as the first Principal of the School and in 1962, Mr. Kuruvilla Jacob was appointed as the first Indian Principal of the School.