Professional Retreat 2023
The Professional Retreat 2023, titled “Curriculum Catalysts: Igniting Transformation in Teaching Practices – Unlocking the Potential of NEP 2023,” was held at HPS Begumpet on Friday and Saturday, June 9th and 10th, 2023. The retreat aimed to enhance teaching practices and curriculum development in alignment with the National Education Policy (NEP).
The retreat featured a renowned resource person, Lr. Colonel S. Sekhar, the Principal of The Hyderabad Public School, Kadapa, who emphasized the importance of redefining teaching as a multifaceted profession and highlighted the crucial role of teachers in implementing the vision of the NEP. As an expert in curriculum design, pedagogical approaches, and competency-based education, Lr. Colonel S. Sekhar enriched the workshop sessions with valuable insights and guidance.
The primary focus of the retreat was to align the school’s curriculum with the NEP, with an emphasis on promoting interdisciplinary themes, experiential learning, and the development of higher-order thinking skills. Additionally, the retreat explored the integration of technology and digital tools to enhance productivity and efficiency in teaching and learning.
The second day of the retreat featured a series of individual sessions, each tailored to address specific areas of teaching and curriculum development. These sessions included:
1. Pedagogical Trends in Early Education: Ms. Kauser Syed, an early education expert, delivered a session on incorporating Multiple Intelligence theory and practical strategies to enhance learning in preprimary classrooms.
2. Workshop on Multiple Intelligence Theory and Teaching & Applying Different Strategies to Enhance Learning in the Classroom for Primary Teachers: Ms. Rubina Majid’s workshop familiarized primary teachers with innovative techniques and resources available in the Learning Resource Centre, enhancing their teaching methods.
3. Cambridge Curriculum Faculty Orientation: Ms. Sonali Chowdhury, the IGCSE Coordinator, provided an orientation workshop for faculty members teaching the Cambridge curriculum, ensuring their readiness to deliver it effectively.
4. Student Competency and Learning Outcomes in Math: Mr. MVA Chandrasekhar, the Head Master of HPS Begumpet, conducted a workshop that focused on enhancing students’ mathematical competency and learning outcomes through effective teaching strategies.
5. White Paper on School Language in Education Policy: Department Heads of Hindi, Telugu, and Urdu – Mr. K. Ravi, Dr. Senapati Satyanarayana, Mr. Kaleem Ur Rehman presented a comprehensive paper outlining methods, resources, curriculum, and assessment policies for language education, ensuring language acquisition effectiveness.
6. POA Sports Activities for the Year 2023-24: Mr. Srinivas Reddy, the Physical Education Director, led a session on planning sports activities for the upcoming academic year, maximizing outdoor and indoor sports facilities for students’ holistic development.
7. Workshop on Designing & Implementation of Financial Literacy Curriculum: Ms. Nirupa Barua, HOD, Commerce, and Ms. Renuka Reddy, HOD, Economics, conducted a workshop focused on the implementation of a financial literacy curriculum, extending CLAT (Common Law Admission Test) and C.A. (Chartered Accountancy) Foundation concepts into the Class 11 curriculum.
8. A Visit to B M Birla Science Museum: Dr. Neeta Bisht, the Senior Coordinator, organized a collaborative interdisciplinary and experiential learning tool by arranging a visit to the B M Birla Science Museum. Faculty members from various departments participated, exploring scientific concepts and their practical applications across multiple disciplines.
These workshops and sessions empowered the faculty members with practical strategies and insights to improve their teaching practices and foster students’ holistic